Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Alvin Lee: One of the Most Underrated Guitarists of All Time

In response to Rolling Stone magazine's 100 Greatest Guitarists list that came out about a month ago. I was shocked to not see one of my personal favorite guitarists on the list of 100, Alvin Lee. You mean to tell me this guy can't even make a list of 100? Then I saw Jack White on the list and it all came clear. Rolling Stone probably makes these lists all the time. It's one of many lists that is made year after year. I see them all the time, but I noticed that Alvin Lee usually doesn't make it high or in many cases........ doesn't make it at all. I personally don't understand why. So I decided to make an argument that Alvin Lee should make a top 100 list all the time. If Jimmy Page makes it in the top 3 every year, then Alvin Lee should at least make it in the top fifty every year. Yes, I know Page has done way more for the guitar than Lee, but to put things in perspective, Alvin Lee in many ways was a more fluid live guitarist. That is my main argument. If a guy like Steve Jones (from Sex Pistols) is a greater guitarist than Alvin Lee than what the hell is the criteria of being a great guitarist?  I also wanted to know why is it not titled Greatest "Rock" Guitarists instead?........because most of these guitarists are rock guitarists. Are they saying that rock guitarists are the greatest of all? If not so, then why have these random picks like John Fahey? who is a finger style guitarist with free expression. Then if he is qualified to be in this list, wouldn't Django Reinhardt be number one followed by guys like Paco de Lucia? The list doesn't make sense! They also seemed to make their picks based on how big the guitarist's bands are. For example " let's put the guy from Tom Petty's band and let's put the guy from The Police." and so on and so forth. Then they would just do a random blues pick, "oh hey let's put Robert Johnson in there, he's famous n stuff, let's forget about all the other great blues guitarists pre 50's and put only the big ones on our list" and then they go... " let's just put BB King and Robert Johnson in random numbers they got to be in it, forget classifying them under a different list." Then they randomly put pioneer specialized guitarists like Chet Atkins and Les Paul in some random number of a "rock" list. The whole point is...... I understand that this is a banal mixed up pop-culture list. But still, even then, why the hell is Alvin Lee not in it?! So I made a list of reasons why Alvin Lee should for now on, make any greatest guitarist list that is mainly "rock" based. 

First off, the guy was an innovator. He could play guitar with a drum stick. 



Alvin Lee could detune so low while playing a dramatic scale and then come back in tune with the band at ease. 


In Woodstock 69 Alvin Lee and Ten Years After put on arguably one the best closing performances ever. Not to mention they probably inspired some of the best camera work on the Woodstock movie. 


Alvin Lee was so incredibly fluid in his playing that he can rock some jazz-blues like a pro. 

Not only was Alvin Lee a great guitarist, but he also did it while writing great songs and singing as well. 


Among many things, Lee was also cool as hell while playing some great guitar. 


Last but not least, this is my favorite performance from Alvin Lee. This encompasses everything he did great. The video was shot by Wim Wenders and is a single still frame shot that goes on for about 15 minutes, but it's totally worth it. Lee does it all on this one. He mimics famous guitar licks, he travels throughout the whole neck with sizzling jazz chords, experimental feedback and even uses finger tapping techniques at some point. Absolutely brilliant performance of what is probably my favorite Ten Years After song Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes



So there you have it. Those are seven examples of why Alvin Lee is a guitar virtuoso and why he deserves to be on any "100 greatest guitarists" list. 






43 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Alvin Lee was and is the most underrated guitarist of all time, I guess because he made playing look so easy ... he had to be the greatest "blues rock" guitar player ever ... miss him dearly, what a "crying shame" he's gone, way too early, what a pure talent, sorely missed by anyone who loves great great guitar playing ... RIP ALVIN !!!

      Delete
    2. THEY USED TO CALL ME "ALVIN" BACK IN '72 'CAUSE THAT WAS MOSTLY WHAT I PLAYED WITH THE BAND I HAD...LOVED HIM @
      "WOODSTOCK", EVEN MET HIM TWICE; SERIOUSLY,"I CAN'T KEEP FROM CRYIN' SOMETIMES", WHEN I REMEMBER BACK TO '71 &'72.

      Delete
  2. Rolling Stone Magazine is shit. They only want to sell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you dannypound! It was a shock for me too to find out that Alvin Lee was left out alltogether!
    And, if some jazz guitarists are included in the list, why not John McLaughlin? Isn't he good enough?
    Definitely, the Rolling Stone Magazine is far from being the Holy Bible....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree.
    there are many misses in the R S'100 Guitar List but this is really difficult to justify or to explain. reasons enough to be in the 100 list but if it is really ROCK GUITARS List then he deserves to be in the high part of the list, no doubt.
    Ten years later many of his followers could get into any 100 guitar list after having seen his performances and having imitated his very personal techniqe but the merit of being Alvin Lee at the 60s/early 70's when nobody did what he did belongs only to him. Sure he's been influential for younger generations from TYA on.
    The level of delivery when playin' live is difficult to find since then. His work in TYA and later has given a good deal of pearls great songs, covers of classic numbers, (Spoonful, Goin Back to Bmgham, Sweet little sixteen...) and brilliant solos and guitar lessons not only in the fast lane (Going home, Cho choo mama,baby wont u let me RR u...) but in the slowest and deepest blues and ballads one can ever hear (I can keep from cryng, I woke up this morning, turned off TV Blues, Bluest Blues.... And as a group performer compleely turned on. I personally like Standing at the station with its crescendo and ambience. I was also stoned when I heard the revival of Lennon's "I want you", a 9 minutes tribute to that forgotten great song.
    And what about singing? many good examples maybe the best the irrepeatable "Help me"... just breathtaking ! and making a pioneer dueto vocals - guitar really innovative at the time. And the introduction of acoustic guitars work among strong electric sounds. And of course his fast and elaborated solos are other reasons for climbing in the list.
    Definitely Alvin wasn't only a guitarist but an innovator who knew how to play before many thousands at big stadiums or for small audiences at clubs, alive or in the studio always giving new approaches to the sound of his guitar. His countribution to the rock guitar sound history is outstanding and recognised among rock enthusiast and musicians. Also contributed to revitaliza blues sound. It's a pity the RS keeps on forgetting all this legacy

    Now he's dead but his records and performances will allow him to live long among all the rock lovers whether in or out the lists
    Long live Lee!!!

    By the way,the rest of TYA' members were great musicians specially fantastic bassist Leo Lyons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy page rated him as one of the best guatarist ever

      Delete
    2. I was kinda shocked to find that out.alvin and leo playing good morning little school girl is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  5. Totally fk-ing agree! To not include Alvin Lee in at least the top 20 invalidates the whole list. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. F##k Rolling Stooges Mag, Legendary guitarist who till the end pushed back against the status quo, both politically and musically. Listen to still on the road to freedom and you'll here him call out an entire generation who stood for something and now stands for nothing. His music on the whole was ear candy and since it was never mainstream required some listening. Once that happened you are hooked. Thank you Dennis Matlock for turning me on to Alvin when we were 13, his music has given me a lifetime of pleasure. True to himself, true to the blues, and second to none. Just give it a listen the music and oh yes those licks......

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. Breaks my heart when this guy is ignored. I joined a record club when I was 9, got Watt album & never looked back. My brother-in-law saw everyone for free in the sixties 'cause his old man was a famous radio jock. He claimed he never saw a better live guitarist than Alvin Lee. I just wish we had more good footage of him as Ten Years After. He does it all but unlike many speed guitarist the music is always paramount.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seen him at Hog Fest in Denver The Doobie Brothers were playing also and I'll travel to see them they put on a hella good show. I was talking to a girl and she didn't and she didn't even know who Te Years after was, she was a couple years older than me and I was born in'71

    ReplyDelete
  10. A real missdown.I've been studying Lee's output for the last six months finding real treasures. Today somehow I recalled not seeing him on the RS list and, what a drag...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A real missdown.I've been studying Lee's output for the last six months finding real treasures. Today somehow I recalled not seeing him on the RS list and, what a drag...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw Jimi in '70 -- San Diego.
    Rate Alvin / Page just behind him.
    Guitar player myself : )

    lol

    Sam Houston Andrews never makes ANY list either.
    In my top 10.
    So is the late great Glen Buxton -- Alice Cooper's guitar player.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve Marriot deserves to be in Top 100 list, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Give a listen to Albert Castiglia and Popa Chubby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw the group about 1972-73 in Dayton Ohio @ Hara Arena. While I can't recall the exact date I haven't forgot how good the show was. It's a little mind boggling to consider all the truly great guitarist through the years but how do you forget someone of Lee's caliber when compiling a list of greatest guitarists? Especially one one considers some of the names on it. Besides, he wrote one of the anthems of the era in "I'd Love to Change the World." Just remembering them play it sends chills down my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fully agree - Saw him live in 1989 on Night of the Guitars, he stood out for his mind-blowing shredding abilities and his amazing rock sound. Thanks for the post and videos, much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dude, f__king A! Alvin Lee floats my boat EVERY time I hear his live performances. Plus, I love his crazy cool facial expressions! Top 100? Yaaaaaahhhhh, you betcha..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alvin Lee is a top ten guitar player on ANY list, and TYA should UNDOUBTEDLY be in the R'n R Hall of Fame !!! It makes me wonder about the politics involved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let's just put it this way.... Bluest Blues... Nuff said ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Boy do I agree with your assessment. Underrated it's obscene. RIP Alvin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely agree. Alvin lee is from my era, although, 6 yrs older. His "bluest blues", soloing, is just phenomenal. There are so many, kickass blues players, out there, that really smoke it! The 100 list, is really pathetic. Like someone else said, depends on how big ur band is, and how well known. Obviously, these RS writers, don't actually play.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I play guitar myself.Im 64 yrs.old and Alvin has always been an Idol to me.He was doing many unique maneuvers on guitar way before Eddy VanHalen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Agreed.
    I am also 64 and discovered Alvin from the live album my brother bought way back in the 70's
    Quite a Jazzy player at times and never used his pinky, rolled his thumb over the neck too but still played fluidly.
    Alvin Lee, Robin Trower, Jeff Beck and Hendrix were the kings in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fuck RS , Alvin was best.Even Slash called him "the original bad ass" Watch him , listen to his playing on some of his last solo albums. He could mop up the floor with any "rock guitarist". And to top it all off the few times I met him he was a genuine nice cat ,a gentleman if you will!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I started listening to alvin lee in the early 70s. I still listen to him now and I'm 70. Nobody could come close to his as ability with the guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  26. There are just too many reasons why he should be in the top 25! His performance at Woodstock makes the whole argument. He was one of the few guitarist that had his own original style. That was imitated but never duplicated.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I fully agree. In fact 10 Years After as a whole were one of the most underrated bands in rock history. Their first album just blew me away with their level of musicianship. It is far better than the Who, Stones, or certainly the Beatles debut work. I am just sorry it took me so long to discover them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. He was a great great guitar superman and a rock showman as well. His great live performance skills and chiseled good looks made him seem like the ultimate rock frontman from central casting. After putting on a great TYA performance, Alvin Lee stopped on his way backstage to engage in a very friendly conversation with a friend of mine talking music. My friend said that Alvin was a very nice man and a "true English gentleman".

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your article was most erudite and eloquent. Thanks for your insight! We are watching Woodstock, and woah, he is flawless and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been lucky enough to have seen a dozen or more of the top hundred guitar players, Claton, Paige, pete,peter,Peter, name a few and I would see Alvin over any of them so blessed to have seen hi 14 times! Meet him once at the Hollywood house of blues and was so cool and actually listened to what I had to say. RIP ALVIN LEE your my #1!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Alvin Lee was undeniably one of the best rock/blues/jazz guitar players of all time. Top 10 easy. Who are the deaf and blind wimps making these lists? I am a rock and roller with 55 years listening and watching experience and I believe Clapton and Plant and many others would be quite nervous and intimidated if not scared to play on the same stage with Alvin. I'd rather listen to Ten Years After than Clapton and Zeppelin. Rock on brother Alvin. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. TYA in July 1970 at the Fillmore West with Cactus the opener stands as one of the rockinist shows I ever saw. Balls to the Walls playing by both bands. TYA was totally challenged by Cactus on their first major tour. Alvin and his boys answered with a blowout performance. The best I ever saw them.
    Alvin will always be one of my favorites. A great guitarist who belongs on any top 100 list. TYA also belongs in the RRHF. A vastly underrated and entertaining band of the late 60's and 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Alvin had pyrotechnics eminating from those fingers of his. Absolutely brilliant musician and so so much better than most, who regularly make guitarists lists.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree whole heartedly along with.Roy Buchanon.

    ReplyDelete